This episode is an interview with Sean Greathead, Director of People & Talent at Mapp (c.310 staff).
It was obvious that our chat with Sean was going to be interesting after he revealed his first billable task in HR: firing two people who got into a physical fight over an apple danish!
His career spans several continents and many more sectors. Since joining Mapp in 2016, he has set about helping them build a values-based business with a truly authentic approach to working with employees and customers.
This ‘values-based’ ideology was at the heart of everything we spoke about during the podcast:
- How Mapp set about building a values-based business.
- Turning ‘Blue Monday’ on its head
- Taking back control of recruitment – how Mapp reduced their reliance on agencies to source new hires.
- Encouraging interviewers to rely on their instincts when making post-interview decisions, while also drilling down into those instincts to uncover evidence and lessen the risk of unconscious bias.
- Why staff’s high ‘social engagement’ leads to open and direct feedback.
- Sean’s two favourite interview questions (which Adrian has started using himself).
- The tool MAPP use to measure employee engagement: https://www.cultureamp.com/
- Favourite tech is his Apple Watch: https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/
- Favourite podcast (apart from ours), ‘How I Built This’: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this?t=1583101196964
- Sean specifically mentioned two great episodes:
- Belkin: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/10/722148754/belkin-international-chet-pipkin
- Five Guys: https://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/531097687/five-guys-jerry-murrell